- 1 (3.5-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted black beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- calories 380
- fat 18.1 g
- satfat 4.4 g
- monofat 9.6 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 13 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 10 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 586 mg
- calcium 201 mg
- sugars 4 g
- Est. Added Sugars 0 g
How to Make It
Cook brown rice according to package directions. Drain. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add cumin and garlic; cook 1 1/2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Partially drain black beans. Place beans and remaining liquid in a small saucepan; stir in chipotle chiles and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring bean mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and jalapeño; toss to combine.
Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons juice, and cabbage; toss well.
Divide rice mixture evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Divide bean mixture, tomato mixture, cabbage mixture, cheese, and avocado evenly over rice.