Just made these using Multi-Grain Cheerios, dried cranberries, dried apricots and cinnamon. Seriously delicious. Nice and crunchy, just sweet enough, will add nuts when not serving to the children (allergies), but a definite make-again!
Whole Grain Marshmallow Crispy Bars
Make traditional Rice Krispies Treats a little more nutritious by using multi-grain cereal and dried cranberries.
More From Southern Living
Other: 15 Minutes
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27.6g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 22mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10.5-oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 (15-oz.) box multi-grain cluster cereal
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries, divided
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows, and cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- 2. Stir in cereal and 1 cup cranberries until well coated.
- 3. Press mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Chop remaining 1/4 cup cranberries, and sprinkle on top. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes or until firm. Cut into 24 bars.
- Cinnamon-Pecan Crispy Bars: Place 1/3 cup pecan halves, chopped, in a single layer on a shallow pan. Bake at 350° for 8 to 9 minutes or until toasted, stirring once after 5 minutes. Prepare Whole Grain Marshmallow Crispy Bars as directed through Step 2. Press mixture as directed into baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with toasted pecans and 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Per bar: Calories 142; Fat 2.9g (sat 1g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.4g); Protein 2.7g; Carb 27.9g; Fiber 1.9g; Chol 4mg; Iron 0.7mg; Sodium 22mg; Calc 10mg.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kashi GOLEAN Crunch! cereal.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note