I made these exactly as the recipe said, except I didn't have apple pie spice so I internetted what was in it and approximated my own. The muffins turned out alright, in that the consistency wasn't bad and the recipe made exactly as many as promised. However, as others have noted, it really needed more sugar for these muffins to be properly delicious. I eat healthy granola bars and things so I understand that not everything in the world needs to taste like a candy bar, but I think a proper blueberry muffin ought to not taste overwhelmingly of oats and flour.
Whole-Grain Blackberry Spice Muffins
Coarsely chop frozen blackberries, and place them back in the freezer until ready to stir into the batter. To freeze muffins, let cool completely, and place in zip-top plastic bags. Reheat in microwave 20 seconds.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 177
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 34.3g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 181mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple-pie spice
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blackberries, coarsely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through apple-pie spice) in a large bowl. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, butter, vanilla, and egg in a small bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Gently stir in blackberries.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each of 17 paper-lined muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes. Sprinkle muffins evenly with granulated sugar; bake 3 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Whole-Grain Blackberry Spice Muffins Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads, Breakfast/Brunch
- CONVENIENCE: Freezable, Gifts, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic, Quick/Easy
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light