- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up and skinned
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground mace
How to Make It
Place chicken in a Dutch oven; add 1/3 cup milk and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from Dutch oven, draining off broth. Transfer chicken to a serving platter.
Combine 1/2 cup milk, whipping cream, and wine; set aside. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk mixture; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add remaining ingredients; blend well. Spoon sauce over chicken.