I made this for my daughter's birthday and everyone loved it. I used butter flavored shortening and 2 tbsp vanilla bean paste. It tastes like sugar cookie cookie dough, very moist, tender and to die for, also not too sweet either. I doubled the frosting recipe since I made it a 2 layer cake, ran out of mascarpone so for the other half I used cream cheese. I had to ban people from the kitchen just so I could have enough frosting to frost the cake. I'm making it again 4 days later for my son's birthday. Don't expect to have leftovers, I didn't.
White Linen Cupcakes
White Linen Cupcakes are a light combination of Mascarpone Frosting and white chocolate curls over a tender cupcake. Perfect for a tea, party, or shower, they're delicate and delicious. Serve them with an ice-cold glass of milk.
- Vanilla Bean Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 to 2 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Mascarpone Frosting:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- White chocolate curls
- To prepare Vanilla Bean Cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla bean paste.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely. Makes 24 cupcakes.
- To prepare frosting, beat cream at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Beat mascarpone, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl at medium speed with mixer until blended. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until blended. Makes 3 cups. Frost each cupcake. Top each generously with white chocolate curls.
Chocolate curls make quite an impressive topping. At Dreamcakes Bakery, they recommend using a good quality milk chocolate or white chocolate bar without nuts or fillings. Soften it very slightly in the microwave about 10 seconds on HIGH; microwave again an extra 5 seconds at at time; if needed. Pull a sharp vegetable peeler along narrow end of bar, letting curls fall onto a chilled sheet pan. The secret is having the chocolate at just the right temperature and using gentle pressure with the vegetable peeler.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note