White Layer Cake with Raspberry Jam
Yield: Serves 10
Cost per Serving: $1.03
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 641
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 93g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/8 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 3 8-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper, then butter parchment. Spoon a small amount of flour into pans, swirl to coat sides and bottom, then tap out and discard excess flour.
- 2. Make cake: Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together milk, egg whites and vanilla in a medium glass measuring cup or bowl.
- 3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until well combined and light. Reduce speed to low and add 1/3 of flour mixture. Add 1/2 of milk mixture, beating constantly and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Beat in another 1/3 of flour, then remaining milk, beating just until blended. Mix in remaining flour just until blended. Divide batter evenly among pans and smooth tops with a rubber spatula (don't worry if batter looks curdled).
- 4. Bake cakes for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of each cake comes out clean. Transfer cakes to wire racks; cool in pans for 10 minutes. Run a knife around sides of pans, invert cakes onto wire racks and remove parchment. Let cool completely.
- 5. Make frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large, deep bowl until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in confectioners' sugar in 2 batches until smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla just until combined.
- 6. Assemble cake: Using a serrated knife, gently slice horizontally across top of each cake layer to make level. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread 1/4 cup jam evenly over layer. Add another cake layer and spread with 1/4 cup jam. Top with final cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Cut into wedges and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts