- 4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 5 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped and divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 (16-ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 3 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Toppings: tortilla chips, shredded Colby-Jack cheese, salsa, sour cream
How to Make It
Place chicken, 5 cups water, and half of onion in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and cook 15 to 18 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
Melt butter in a skillet; add celery and remaining onion, and sauté until tender.
Stir chicken, celery mixture, 2 cans beans, and next 6 ingredients into broth in Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 1 hour, stirring frequently, until thickened.
Process remaining 1 can beans in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Stir bean pureé into chili.
Remove and discard bay leaf; stir in cilantro just before serving with desired toppings.