This was one of my favorite cookies ever. Easy to make, tasty, elegant in appearance. Makes an especially nice gift cookies. One batch makes a large number of small cookies. Stores well; stacks well in cool temperatures. I had lost the recipe. I am so delighted to find it on My Recipes!!!
White Chocolate Spice Cookies
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/4 hours, plus about 1 hour to chill. Notes: These spiced rounds with a pretty white chocolate glaze can be stored airtight for up to 2 days.
Yield: Makes about 85 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 53
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 0.5g
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 5.1g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 14mg
- Cholesterol: 5.9mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 6 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1. In a food processor or bowl, whirl or stir flour, sugar, ginger, pepper, baking soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt to blend. Add butter; pulse or cut in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix vanilla, lemon peel, and 1 tablespoon water. Add to food processor or bowl; whirl or stir until dough forms a ball.
- 3. Divide dough in half. Roll out each portion between sheets of waxed paper or cooking parchment to about 1/4 inch thick. Stack and chill rolled dough until firm, about 45 minutes (or freeze about 25 minutes).
- 4. Cut out cookies with a floured 1 1/2-inch round cutter. Place 1/2 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 5. Bake cookies in a 325° oven until pale brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- 6. Place white chocolate and shortening in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (bottom of bowl should not touch water). Remove from heat and stir occasionally until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 7. Dip each cookie halfway into white chocolate mixture, then place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Drizzle undipped half of cookie with more white chocolate mixture, if desired. Chill just until glaze is set, about 15 minutes.
- Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts