This is really good - my husband was very weary to try this because he is a very traditional chili guy (our favorite Chili recipe is CL's All American Chili) and thought 'what's the point' in trying this because he loves our regular chili so much. This was so tasty - the cornmeal really adds that special touch that makes this so good. I made the spicy jalapeño cornbread as a side and it was a great, easy, weeknight meal! Definitely a keeper!
This white chili recipe uses hot pepper sauce made from jalapeños; it's milder than the red hot pepper varieties. Stirring frequently toward the end of cooking time prevents the bean-thickened broth from sticking to the bottom and scorching. Serve with Spicy Jalapeño Corn Bread.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 198
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 24.8g
- Carbohydrate: 14.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 456mg
- Calcium: 63mg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons green hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (about 1)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth, hot pepper sauce, salt, and chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove chicken from broth mixture; cool.
- 2. Add cornmeal and beans to broth mixture, stirring with a whisk; simmer 15 minutes. Mash about 1/4 cup beans against side of pan. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken to pan; simmer 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently. Top each serving with yogurt; sprinkle with green onions. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note