White Cake Layers
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 egg whites
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Combine water and milk. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into 4 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- Note: For 9-inch layers, bake at 350° for 12 to 14 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This