White Beans and Rice
While some cooks prefer to use dried beans, we streamlined the rice-and-beans recipe by substituting canned beans.
More From Southern Living
- 6 (15.8-oz.) cans great Northern beans, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound smoked fully cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine or long-grain rice
- 1. Rinse and drain 4 cans beans. (Do not drain remaining cans.)
- 2. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in undrained beans, 2 cans drained beans, ham, and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions.
- 4. Stir in remaining 2 cans drained beans to mixture in Dutch oven. Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with hot cooked rice.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Mahatma Jasmine Rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note