A yummy soup, though not extraordinary. I would omit the lemon juice, since stirring it in right at the end detracted away from the flavors I was hoping for - the sweet roasted garlic and the savory tomato paste. I'd use both more kale and more white beans too. Served with blue cheese crostini.
White Bean Soup
Roasted garlic adds a robust flavor to this nourishing bean soup. If you're not a fan of kale, try Swiss chard.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 242
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Carbohydrate: 40.5g
- Fiber: 9g
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 823mg
- Calcium: 176mg
- 1 whole garlic head
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled potato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil; wrap in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-heat. Add onion and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Add carrot and the next 4 ingredients (carrot through tomato paste); cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add Vegetable Stock and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and kale; simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir in lemon juice and pepper. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews