- 1 whole garlic head
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled potato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- calories 242
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fat 5.8 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 9.5 g
- carbohydrate 40.5 g
- fiber 9 g
- iron 3.8 mg
- sodium 823 mg
- calcium 176 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil; wrap in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-heat. Add onion and salt; sauté 5 minutes. Add carrot and the next 4 ingredients (carrot through tomato paste); cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add Vegetable Stock and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Stir in garlic and kale; simmer 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir in lemon juice and pepper. Garnish with parsley, if desired.