- 1 cup flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-to 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Two 15-oz cans white or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- calories (1/6 of recipe): 410
- fat 8.2 g
- satfat 2.2 g
- sodium 473.5 mg
- cholesterol 71.5 mg
How to Make It
Prep time: About 15 Minutes
Cooking time: About 30 Minutes
Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a plate. Coat pork cubes with seasoned flour.
In a large, deep skillet or a shallow, flameproof casserole, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the pork cubes and cook for 8 minutes, or until browned. Sprinkle with thyme, then season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste and stir well. Pour in the chicken broth and bring the stew to a simmer, stirring well. Add the beans and the bay leaf and let the stew simmer for 20 minutes, or until the pork is tender. Taste for seasoning and remove the bay leaf before serving.
FREEZE-EASY: Store the stew in plastic containers with tight-fitting lids. After thawing, reheat gently until simmering; or follow your microwave's directions.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients; drain and rinse beans; place flour, salt, and pepper on plate.