White Bean Gratin
Photo: Maren Caruso; Styling: Robyn Valarik
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 261
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Sodium: 432mg
- Cholesterol: 5.2mg
- 3 cups dried cannellini beans
- About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 onion, sliced into thin half-moons
- 2-ounce piece slab bacon (or 2 oz. thick-cut regular bacon)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed, plus 1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 2 large sage sprigs, plus 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1. Put beans in a large pot and cover with 1 in. cold water. Bring to a boil; turn off heat and let beans sit, covered, 1 hour. Drain and return to pot. Add 2 cups chicken broth, 7 cups water, the onion, bacon, crushed garlic, sage sprigs, bay leaves, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour, or until beans are just tender.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Add salt and cook beans until soft but not falling apart, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 3. Discard bacon, sage sprigs, and bay leaves. Drain beans into a colander set over a bowl; reserve liquid. Pour beans back into pot.
- 4. Blend 2 cups beans, 1/2 cup bean liquid, and 1/4 cup oil in a blender until smooth. Stir purée into beans along with chopped garlic and sage, rosemary, and remaining 1/2 tsp. pepper. Pour beans into a 3-qt. gratin dish and add enough bean liquid to just cover beans (if you have liquid left, save for soup; if you don't have enough, use more broth).
- 5. Bake until top is starting to set, 25 minutes. Mix zest, panko, and remaining 2 tbsp. oil in a bowl. Sprinkle over beans and bake until bubbly and browned and liquid has thickened, 30 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables