Super tasty recipe – it actually had flavor, which I have been looking for during my trek through slow cooker recipes…I tweaked the recipe—followed all except: did NOT pre-cook beans (just started cooking them along with everything else); added 3.5 lbs of semi-frozen no-skin chicken breasts/tenderloins straight into broth up front; added 1 jar of Ortega green salsa; 2x amount of beans; 1.75x cumin; 2x garlic; did NOT add water; kept chicken broth at 4 cups; cooked on low for 7 hours. Removed 3 cups of the bean & broth mix to puree (I pureed it in a plastic cup with a hand blender) and then put it back in the pot. Meanwhile, removed chicken, shredded it with a fork and added it back in. Stirred and refrigerated everything in the pot overnight and served the next evening with low-fat shredded Mexican cheese and light sour cream. Delicious! [Doubling the recipe maxes out the crock pot, but ensures maximum leftovers for the rest of the week!]
White Bean and Chicken Chili
One of those “killer” recipes that will wow any crowd, this nine-ingredient chili relies on pantry staples including canned white beans, broth, and roasted chilies. To build rich flavor, the chicken and onions are browned first in a skillet with garlic and cumin.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 394
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 55g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Sodium: 597mg
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 whole bone-in chicken breasts (3 lb.)
- teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (4 oz.) cans roasted green chilies, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Place beans and broth in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, 2 hours.
- Warm oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin side down in skillet; cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; remove and discard skin. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. fat from skillet. Add onions and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add onion mixture, chilies, 1 cup water and cumin to slow cooker. Stir; add chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring twice. Remove 1 cup beans plus 1/2 cup liquid from slow cooker. Puree in a blender; return to slow cooker. Remove chicken, shred it and return to slow cooker. Spoon into individual bowls and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note