White Bean, Butternut Squash, Kale and Olive Stew
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 butternut squash (3 1/4 to 3 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups canned vegetable broth
- 16 cups chopped kale, thick stems trimmed and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon dried, rubbed sage
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned black olives, pitted and halved*
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Romano cheese, optional
- Heat oil in a heavy, large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, and saut over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add butternut squash, bell peppers and garlic; saut 10 minutes. Add broth; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add kale and sage; cover and cook until the kale wilts, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add beans and olives, and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the stew to large, shallow bowl. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese, if desired.
- *Note: Substitute Kalamata olives, sold at Greek and Italian markets and some supermarkets.
- Servings: 8
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 390; Total fat 10g; Saturated fat 1.5g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 470mg; Carbohydrate 68g; Fiber 15g; Protein 14g; Vitamin A 840%DV; Vitamin C 470%; Calcium 35%DV; Iron 35%DV
- *Daily Value
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CannedFoodFan and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
White Bean, Butternut Squash, Kale and Olive Stew Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes