This soup was easy and delicious. I had to chop the vegetables before heating the oil because I took too long. I usually don't like celery and onion unless they are cooked to death, but I liked them in this even though the cooking time is short. I used honey-baked ham, which worked really well. Four servings was not enough. I would recommend serving with crusty bread or rolls.
White Bean and Ham Soup
Desperation Dinners: Beverly Mills with Alicia Ross Winston-Salem Journal If you can't find seasoned diced tomatoes, plain will also work. Other meat products could be used, such as any type of deli ham, sausage or kielbasa. Cut sausage or kielbasa into 1/4-inch pieces.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion (for about 1 cup chopped)
- 2 rack(s) celery ribs (for about 1 cup chopped)
- 2 15-ounce can(s) navy beans, divided use
- 2 teaspoon(s) bottled minced garlic
- 14 ounce(s) chicken broth
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can(s) diced tomatoes, seasoned with onion and garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 8 ounce(s) honey-baked ham, torn into chunks
- 1. Heat the oil in a 4 1/2-quart Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. 2. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the pot as you chop. Rinse and dice the celery, adding it to the pot as you cut. 3. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 3 minutes. 4. Meanwhile, pour 1 can of the navy beans into a colander, rinse well and drain. 5. Stir the garlic into the onion mixture. Add the broth and tomatoes. Raise the heat to high. Add the remaining can of beans with its liquid along with the rinsed beans, bay leaf, thyme and pepper. 6. Stir and cover the pot; when the soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to low. 7. Add ham to pot. Stir the soup, re-cover the pot, and cook at a slow simmer for at least 7 to 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note