White Bean and Fennel Stew with Spicy Italian Sausage
"Take a break from Thanksgiving" by Alicia Ross (with Beverly Mills), United Feature Syndicate. "Foods to be thankful for": a warm dinner that is simple to make, yet immensely complex in flavor. For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock and omit the sausage. Desperation Dinners. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: November 23, 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) spicy Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
- 2 clove(s) fresh garlic, minced
- 32 ounce(s) low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce can(s) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can(s) pette diced tomatoes with garlic and Italian herbs
- 10 ounce(s) frozen spinach leaves, thawed and drained well
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. In a large soup pot, cut up and brown the sausage over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel and garlic, and continue until sausage is crumbled and cooked through, about 7 minutes total.
- 2. Add broth, beans, tomatoes (with juices) and spinach, and stir well to mix. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 45 minutes until ready to serve. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note