Delicious! Made it according to the recipe. The only change I made, after reading the previous reviews, was to quick soften the dried beans. Just brought them to a boil and let them sit for an hour; while I prepared the meat and veggies. My scotch was a good, single malt. Served it with some cornmeal muffins. I will make this again. Definitely worthy of a special occasion.
Whiskey and Triple Pork Black Bean Chili
Photo: Annabelle Breakey
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 579
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 973mg
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- 1 pound pork shoulder (butt), cut into 1- to 1 1/2-in. chunks
- Vegetable oil (if pork is lean)
- 5 slices (1/2 lb.) thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans, cleaned of debris and rinsed
- 2 chopped canned chipotle chiles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whiskey such as Jack Daniel's, divided
- 4 ounces Spanish smoked chorizo, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Creme fraiche or shredded jack cheese
- Chopped chives
- 1. Brown pork in a large pot over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, adding a little oil if pork is very lean. Transfer pork to a plate. Add bacon to pot and cook, stirring often, until browned but still soft, about 5 minutes. Spoon out fat and return 2 tbsp. to pot. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Return pork to pot and add beans, chipotles, cumin, broth, and 1/2 cup whiskey. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until beans and pork are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 3. Stir in chorizo and remaining 1/4 cup whiskey. Simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes more. Stir in parsley.
- 4. Ladle into bowls and top with crème fraîche and chives.
Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note