Delicious! Made it according to the recipe. The only change I made, after reading the previous reviews, was to quick soften the dried beans. Just brought them to a boil and let them sit for an hour; while I prepared the meat and veggies. My scotch was a good, single malt. Served it with some cornmeal muffins. I will make this again. Definitely worthy of a special occasion.
Whiskey and Triple Pork Black Bean Chili
Photo: Annabelle Breakey
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 579
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 973mg
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- 1 pound pork shoulder (butt), cut into 1- to 1 1/2-in. chunks
- Vegetable oil (if pork is lean)
- 5 slices (1/2 lb.) thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans, cleaned of debris and rinsed
- 2 chopped canned chipotle chiles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whiskey such as Jack Daniel's, divided
- 4 ounces Spanish smoked chorizo, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Creme fraiche or shredded jack cheese
- Chopped chives
- 1. Brown pork in a large pot over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, adding a little oil if pork is very lean. Transfer pork to a plate. Add bacon to pot and cook, stirring often, until browned but still soft, about 5 minutes. Spoon out fat and return 2 tbsp. to pot. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Return pork to pot and add beans, chipotles, cumin, broth, and 1/2 cup whiskey. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until beans and pork are tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 3. Stir in chorizo and remaining 1/4 cup whiskey. Simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes more. Stir in parsley.
- 4. Ladle into bowls and top with crème fraîche and chives.
Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This