Switched to this very forgiving recipe last minute so used what I had: sweet potatoes cooked in microwave (in chunks with wet paper towels,covered) Mashed in food processor. Very light with the egg whites & not too sweet! Everyone got seconds! Only used cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice, orange extract & brown sugar. Replaced hazelnuts with fresh pecans. Someone sprayed whipped topping on theirs. It's a keeper!
Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Hazelnut Topping
Photo: Jan Smith
Beaten egg whites give this version of sweet potato casserole a light texture beneath the sweet, nutty streusel. This side pairs well with beef, pork, or poultry.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 248
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 46.2g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 293mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 (29-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and halved
- 3 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; mash well. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into sweet potato mixture. Spoon mixture into a shallow 3-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine hazelnuts and next 3 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon) in a bowl. Cut in butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This