Our whole family loved these...even our picky little boys. We normally favor pumpkin pancakes and oatmeal pancakes over buttermilk, but these are a good alternate to throw in the mix! Be forewarned: that orange butter only serves three people in normal land. :) You'll want to double it to match the amount of pancakes in this recipe. And I added just a touch of honey to it, as well.
Whole-Wheat, Buttermilk, and Orange Pancakes
Here we've updated Bill and Cheryl Jamison's fantastic Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes from 2002 with a little citrus zest. Allowing the batter to sit before cooking gives the leaveners a chance to work, creating light, fluffy pancakes.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 59.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 477mg
- Calcium: 182mg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 3.5 ounces white whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 3.4 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1. Combine first 3 ingredients.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, 1/4 cup juice, oil, and 1 egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist; let stand 15 minutes. Place egg white in a medium bowl; beat with a whisk until medium peaks form. Gently fold egg white into batter.
- 3. Preheat a griddle to medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Cook 3 minutes or until edges begin to bubble and bottom is browned. Turn pancakes over; cook 3 minutes or until done. Serve with orange butter and syrup.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note