Absolutely delicious. One of my friends made it for our Cooking Club and it was outstanding. She used cranberries instead of raisins though. Will definitely make it for the next family BBQ or picnic.
Wheat Berry Salad with Raisins and Pistachios
Myth-Buster Recipe. Eating fiber-rich whole foods is the best way to gain this essential component of your diet. Whole-grain wheat berries are chewy, mild, and packed with fiber. Prep all the ingredients while the grain cooks.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 36.8g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 284mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries (hard winter wheat)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Place wheat berries and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- 3. Place pistachios on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes, stirring once. Cool slightly, and chop.
- 4. Combine oil, juice, honey, coriander, ginger, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add hot wheat berries and raisins; stir well to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
- 5. Add nuts, 1/4 cup green onions, and cilantro to wheat berry mixture. Transfer to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with goat cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note