I made this as part of a backstage buffet I prepared for perfomers at a local concert. I did a little changing to use what I had. That meant using a chopped sweet onion instead of shallots;switching strawberry balsamic vinegar for the raspberry and balsamic vinegars, and adding a squirt of honey because my cranberry juice was unsweetened and very tart. Also, I used the fried fruits I had on hand, namely apricots, cranberries and figs. I diced up the apricots and figs. The end result was quite tasty, which shows that this is a very flexible and forgiving recipe!!
Wheat Berry Salad with Dried Fruit
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Make this salad in advance so the flavors have time to mellow. This salad is high in fiber, flavorful, filling and easy to pack.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 355
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 9.4g
- Carbohydrate: 55.2g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 332mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) diced Gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine water and wheat berries in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Combine shallots and next 6 ingredients (shallots through salt) in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Add wheat berries, cranberries, and remaining ingredients to vinaigrette, and toss to combine. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads