This was a good recipe. I halved it because I knew my daughter would not eat wheat berries & then ended up substituting spelt as I was out of wheat berries. It was very tasty. I couldn't find roasted kalamata olives so I used regular brined ones. Preparing the artichokes was time consuming. Maybe baking some frozen artichoke hearts till they were browned would be easier next time.
Wheat Berry Salad
Photo: Randy Mayor; Stylist: Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 51.5g
- Fiber: 13.3g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 556mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries (hard winter wheat)
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-ounce) prosciutto slice, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jarred roasted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1. Place wheat berries in a medium bowl; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Cover; let stand 8 hours. Drain. Place wheat berries in a saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 3. Combine 2 teaspoons juice and 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Trim about 2 inches from the top of each artichoke; cut artichokes in half horizontally. Brush cut sides with juice mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Arrange artichokes, cut sides up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Turn artichokes; bake 15 minutes or until artichokes are browned and tender. Cool slightly. Peel stem; trim an additional 1/2 inch from the top. Discard outer leaves. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon; quarter artichoke hearts.
- 4. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in prepared wheat berries, remaining 1 tablespoon juice, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, artichokes, olives, parsley, chives, and rosemary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads