This was a good recipe. I halved it because I knew my daughter would not eat wheat berries & then ended up substituting spelt as I was out of wheat berries. It was very tasty. I couldn't find roasted kalamata olives so I used regular brined ones. Preparing the artichokes was time consuming. Maybe baking some frozen artichoke hearts till they were browned would be easier next time.
Wheat Berry Salad
Photo: Randy Mayor; Stylist: Jan Gautro
Allow 8 hours for the wheat berries to soak before cooking. Serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 51.5g
- Fiber: 13.3g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 556mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries (hard winter wheat)
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-ounce) prosciutto slice, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons jarred roasted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1. Place wheat berries in a medium bowl; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Cover; let stand 8 hours. Drain. Place wheat berries in a saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 3. Combine 2 teaspoons juice and 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Trim about 2 inches from the top of each artichoke; cut artichokes in half horizontally. Brush cut sides with juice mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Arrange artichokes, cut sides up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Turn artichokes; bake 15 minutes or until artichokes are browned and tender. Cool slightly. Peel stem; trim an additional 1/2 inch from the top. Discard outer leaves. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon; quarter artichoke hearts.
- 4. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in prepared wheat berries, remaining 1 tablespoon juice, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, artichokes, olives, parsley, chives, and rosemary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note