This is probably the best shrimp and grits recipe ever. I cooked it tonight and I can't imagine anything that could make it better.
Wesley's Gulf Coast Shrimp and Grits
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Annette Joseph
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- SHRIMP SAUCE
- 30 unpeeled, jumbo raw shrimp (2 1/25 count)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Dash of hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1. Prepare Grits: Preheat oven to 350°. Bring milk, 1/4 cup butter, and 4 cups water to a boil in an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits; bring mixture to a boil, whisking occasionally. Cover and bake 45 minutes or until grits are creamy, whisking every 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add 4 garlic cloves and 3 shallots, and sauté 3 1/2 minutes or until shallots are translucent. Add wine, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Cook, stirring often, 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced by two-thirds; fold into hot cooked grits. Stir in cheese and next 3 ingredients.
- 3. Prepare Shrimp Sauce: Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper.
- 4. Cook shrimp, in 2 batches, in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from skillet.
- 5. Sauté 3 garlic cloves and 1 Tbsp. minced shallots in remaining 2 Tbsp. hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat 1 minute. Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Cook, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes or until tomatoes begin to break apart. Remove from heat. Stir in shrimp and 3 Tbsp. butter. Serve with chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes