- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light or dark beer
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 6 English muffins, buttered and toasted
- Tomato slices (optional)
How to Make It
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; add flour, whisking until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in beer; cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes.
Stir in cheese and next 5 ingredients. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or just until cheese melts. Spoon over English muffins.
Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 30 seconds or until browned. Serve with tomato slices, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.