Very delicious! Perfect summer food.
Watermelon "Steak" Salad
Not your mother's fruit salad. A cold, thick, steak-like slice of ripe watermelon pairs unexpectedly well with salty Cotija cheese and a smoky vinaigrette. Also try it with leftover grilled chicken or beef.
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 1 medium-size red onion, sliced
- 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 12 cups assorted tender salad greens (such as mâche, watercress, arugula, and Bibb)
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- Smoky Dijon Dressing
- 8 (1 1/4-inch-thick) chilled seedless watermelon slices, rinds removed
- 3/4 cup salted pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1. Stir together first 5 ingredients and 1/4 cup water in a glass bowl. Cover and chill 2 hours. (Mixture can be made and chilled up to 2 days ahead.) Remove onions from marinade, discarding marinade.
- 2. Toss together greens, cheese, 1 cup red onions, and desired amount of dressing in a large bowl. Top each watermelon slice with 1 1/2 cups greens mixture. Sprinkle with pepitas. Serve immediately with remaining vinaigrette and onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note