We just finished eating this recipe along with Mesquite grilled chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. I'm very torn over this recipe. The dressing recipe makes a LARGE amount! If I made it again, I would cut it down to a 1/4 of the size. It made a 16 oz container and I only used about 2 TBS to dress our salad perfectly. This is a BEAUTIFUL dish! It looks so pretty and appetizing on a plate. Taking my first bite I was impressed with the freshness of the watermelon, salty crunch of the pepitas and the smokiness of the dressing. I used micro greens and arugula. Next time I would use just baby romaine due to bitterness of the greens. I think my issue is that I couldn't eat a ton of this dish with the dressing having such a powerful presence. I think if the dressing had a lighter, fruity flavor instead of the punch of the smoky paprika it would be outstanding. I would cut the paprika in half and sub with honey vinegar or balsamic next time.
Watermelon "Steak" Salad
Not your mother's fruit salad. A cold, thick, steak-like slice of ripe watermelon pairs unexpectedly well with salty Cotija cheese and a smoky vinaigrette. Also try it with leftover grilled chicken or beef.
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 1 medium-size red onion, sliced
- 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 12 cups assorted tender salad greens (such as mâche, watercress, arugula, and Bibb)
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- Smoky Dijon Dressing
- 8 (1 1/4-inch-thick) chilled seedless watermelon slices, rinds removed
- 3/4 cup salted pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1. Stir together first 5 ingredients and 1/4 cup water in a glass bowl. Cover and chill 2 hours. (Mixture can be made and chilled up to 2 days ahead.) Remove onions from marinade, discarding marinade.
- 2. Toss together greens, cheese, 1 cup red onions, and desired amount of dressing in a large bowl. Top each watermelon slice with 1 1/2 cups greens mixture. Sprinkle with pepitas. Serve immediately with remaining vinaigrette and onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note