- 1 medium-size red onion, sliced
- 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 12 cups assorted tender salad greens (such as mâche, watercress, arugula, and Bibb)
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- Smoky Dijon Dressing
- 8 (1 1/4-inch-thick) chilled seedless watermelon slices, rinds removed
- 3/4 cup salted pepitas or sunflower seeds
How to Make It
Stir together first 5 ingredients and 1/4 cup water in a glass bowl. Cover and chill 2 hours. (Mixture can be made and chilled up to 2 days ahead.) Remove onions from marinade, discarding marinade.
Toss together greens, cheese, 1 cup red onions, and desired amount of dressing in a large bowl. Top each watermelon slice with 1 1/2 cups greens mixture. Sprinkle with pepitas. Serve immediately with remaining vinaigrette and onions.