Community Recipe from
- 2 pound(s) watermelon rind
- 1 quart(s) cold water
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) slake lime
- 2 cup(s) cider vingar
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 3/4 pound(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon(s) whole cloves
- 3 piece(s) 3-inch stick cinnamon
- 1/2 piece(s) lemon (thinly sliced) (optional)
- green food coloring
- 1)Use firm,not over ripe,watermelon with thick rind.2)Trim off green skin and all pink pulp.3)Cut into 1-inch cubes.4)Combine 1 quart cold water and slake lime.5)Pour over rind in enamel pan.6)Let stand 1 hour.7)Drain.8)Cover with fresh water.9)In enamel pan.10)Place rind and fresh water to cover.11)Bring to a boil.12)Reduce heat.13)Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.14)Or until rind is tender when pieced with a fork.15)Drain.16)Make a syrup of the vinegar,the 2 cups water and sugar by bringing to a boil.16)Cook until sugar is dissolved.17)Add spices and tied in a cheesecloth bag for easy removed and the rind.18)Simmer,uncovered,over low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.19)Or until rind looks clear.20)Remove spices.21)Add lemon slices and food coloring,if used.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by becy420 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note