Community Recipe from
- 2 pound(s) watermelon rind
- 1 quart(s) cold water
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) slake lime
- 2 cup(s) cider vingar
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 3/4 pound(s) sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon(s) whole cloves
- 3 piece(s) 3-inch stick cinnamon
- 1/2 piece(s) lemon (thinly sliced) (optional)
- green food coloring
- 1)Use firm,not over ripe,watermelon with thick rind.2)Trim off green skin and all pink pulp.3)Cut into 1-inch cubes.4)Combine 1 quart cold water and slake lime.5)Pour over rind in enamel pan.6)Let stand 1 hour.7)Drain.8)Cover with fresh water.9)In enamel pan.10)Place rind and fresh water to cover.11)Bring to a boil.12)Reduce heat.13)Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.14)Or until rind is tender when pieced with a fork.15)Drain.16)Make a syrup of the vinegar,the 2 cups water and sugar by bringing to a boil.16)Cook until sugar is dissolved.17)Add spices and tied in a cheesecloth bag for easy removed and the rind.18)Simmer,uncovered,over low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.19)Or until rind looks clear.20)Remove spices.21)Add lemon slices and food coloring,if used.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by becy420 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes