Photo: Jennifer Davick
You can make the cream cheese mixture up to 2 days ahead.
Yield: Makes 3 to 6 dozen
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup lightly packed watercress
- 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 18 white sandwich bread slices
- Assorted vegetable slices and herbs
- 1. Pulse first 3 ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Add watercress and next 3 ingredients; process until finely chopped.
- 2. Spread 1 Tbsp. cream cheese mixture onto each bread slice. Top with assorted vegetable slices and herbs in a single layer, pressing lightly. Trim crusts from bread. Cut each bread slice into 4 squares or 2 rectangles.
- Try These Twists:
- Goat Cheese Canapés: Omit watercress and parsley. Reduce cream cheese to 4 oz. Add 1 (4-oz.) goat cheese log, softened, with cream cheese and 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme with salt in Step 1. Top with: candy-cane beets and chives, or sliced squash and salmon caviar.
- Bacon-and-Olive Canapés: Omit salt. Substitute 1/2 cup green olives, chopped, and 6 cooked and crumbled bacon slices for watercress and parsley. Add salt to taste. Top with: sliced grape tomatoes and hard-cooked eggs, or basil leaves, celery, and radishes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers