Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 40 Minutes
- 1 medium leek
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large russet potato (about 1 lb.), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (5-oz.) package fresh baby spinach
- 2 (4-oz.) packages watercress (about 16 loosely packed cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Garnishes: buttermilk, watercress sprigs, chopped fresh chives
- 1. Remove and discard root end and dark green top of leek. Cut in half lengthwise, and rinse under cold running water to remove grit and sand. Thinly slice leek.
- 2. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add leek, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- 3. Add broth and potato; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat, and add spinach and next 4 ingredients, stirring until spinach is wilted.
- 4. Puree soup with a blender until smooth; pour into a large bowl. Whisk in buttermilk and lemon juice; add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews