Warm Turkey Picadillo Spinach Salad
Notes: Serve this salad with hot cooked rice or baked tortilla chips.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 323
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Sodium: 208mg
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed or minced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 quarts baby spinach leaves (1/2 lb.), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, rinsed, stemmed, and halved
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, stir or shake nuts until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Pour from pan.
- 2. Add onion and garlic to pan and stir over medium-high heat until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey and stir often, breaking up with spoon, until browned and crumbled, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add raisins, chili powder, and cinnamon; stir until spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add orange juice, sherry, and vinegar; bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Mound spinach leaves in a wide salad bowl. Pour hot turkey mixture onto spinach. Sprinkle with pine nuts and top with tomatoes. Lift with 2 large spoons to mix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This