Warm Tomato and White Bean Stew
NOTES: The riper and redder the tomatoes, the better this quick dish will be.
Yield: MAKES: 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 423
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Sodium: 1146mg
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, rinsed (see notes)
- About 1/2 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- About 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and cut into cubes (1/2 in.)
- About 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Core and dice tomatoes. In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Let stand until tomatoes are very juicy, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Set pan over medium-low heat and gently stir in beans. Stir occasionally until mixture is warm to touch, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Gently stir just until mozzarella has softened and starts to melt into strings, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and stir in more salt if desired. Spoon stew into bowls and top each serving with a sprinkling of more basil and parmesan cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes