- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, rinsed (see notes)
- About 1/2 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- About 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, drained and cut into cubes (1/2 in.)
- About 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- calories 423
- caloriesfromfat 55 %
- protein 24 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 13 g
- carbohydrate 25 g
- fiber 7.3 g
- sodium 1146 mg
- cholesterol 60 mg
How to Make It
Core and dice tomatoes. In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Let stand until tomatoes are very juicy, about 15 minutes.
Set pan over medium-low heat and gently stir in beans. Stir occasionally until mixture is warm to touch, about 5 minutes.
Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Gently stir just until mozzarella has softened and starts to melt into strings, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and stir in more salt if desired. Spoon stew into bowls and top each serving with a sprinkling of more basil and parmesan cheese.