Warm Steak Salad with Marinara Sauce
Sunset recipe retester Sarah Epstein of Palo Alto, California, created this after trying something similar at a restaurant. The heat of the steaks melts the fresh mozzarella and the greens add a peppery bite. It's become her kids' favorite special meal.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 447
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 532mg
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- 4 New York steaks, cut 1/2 in. thick (see Notes; about 1 1/2 lbs. total), fat trimmed
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce, preferably made with balsamic vinegar
- 7 to 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces baby arugula or spinach (about 1 1/2 qts. very loosely packed)
- 1. Rub steaks with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for very high heat (600°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). While grill heats, preheat cooking grate for at least 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, warm 4 dinner plates. Put marinara in a small saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until simmering, about 3 minutes; keep warm.
- 3. Grill steaks, turning over once, until rare in the center (cut to test; meat will continue to cook after coming off the grill), 2 to 3 minutes for medium rare. Skirt steaks may need 2 to 3 minutes longer than New York steaks. Lift steaks to a platter.
- 4. Quickly spoon marinara over center of each plate. Set steaks on marinara, arrange mozzarella slices on steaks, and mound arugula on cheese. Pour meat juices from platter over salads if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Ask a butcher to cut four 1/2-in.-thick New York steaks. Or use another 1/2-in.-thick steak such as skirt steak, which is larger; cut it to fit the grill, if you have to, and cut into pieces to serve. The meat cooks in minutes, so to get good browning, be sure the cooking grate is very hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note