Warm Red Cabbage Salad
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 152
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 3.9g
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 498mg
- Cholesterol: 6.3mg
- 3 thick slices light rye bread (about 3 oz. total)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 head (1 1/2 lb.) red cabbage
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon (about 2 oz. total)
- 1 red onion (8 oz.), peeled and thinly slivered
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon regular salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1. Cut rye bread into 3/4-inch cubes. Pour oil into a heavy zip-lock plastic bag or a plastic storage container with a lid. Add bread cubes, seal bag or container, and shake well, turning to coat bread evenly with oil. Pour into a 10- by 15-inch baking pan and bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until bread is crisp and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes (5 to 6 minutes in convection oven); shake pan to turn cubes halfway through baking. Let cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse, core, and finely shred cabbage. Cut bacon crosswise into thin strips. In a 12-inch nonstick frying pan or 14-inch wok over medium-high heat, stir bacon until crisp and brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion to pan with bacon fat. Stir just until limp, about 3 minutes. Pour in 3 tablespoons vinegar and stir until liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add cabbage to pan and sprinkle with salt and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds. Stir until cabbage is wilted but still crunchy, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar.
- 4. Spoon salad onto plates and top equally with rye croutons, bacon pieces, and remaining 1 teaspoon caraway seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads