Good and filling. I used balsamic vinegar since I didn't have sherry vinegar. Turned out just fine.
Warm Quinoa Salad with Carrots and Grilled Chicken
More From Food & Wine
- 6 ounces (1 cup) red or black quinoa
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 2 (about 6 ounces each) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons small mint leaves
- Put the quinoa in a small saucepan and cover with 2 cups of water. Add a large pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet. Add the garlic and onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cumin, cover and cook over low heat until the carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and thread onto 4 skewers. Season with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes total.
- Mound the quinoa salad on plates. Garnish with the toasted pine nuts and mint leaves and serve the chicken skewers alongside.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note