Warm Mushroom Salad
The pleasing contrast of warm sautéed mushrooms on a bed of cool, crisp greens brings sophistication to this salad created by Russell Ito.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 178
- Calories from fat: 71%
- Protein: 5.3g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Cholesterol: 9.5mg
- 1/2 pound fresh chanterelle, shiitake, or common mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 cups salad mix, rinsed and crisped
- About 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- 1. Place mushrooms in a plastic bag and fill with water. Seal bag and shake to wash mushrooms. Drain well. Repeat if mushrooms are still gritty. Trim off and discard bruised stem ends (or tough shiitake stems). Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter. When butter is melted, add shallots and mushrooms. Stir often until juices evaporate and mushrooms begin to brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Add wine and stir to release browned bits; boil until wine evaporates, about 1 minute. Add parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix remaining olive oil and vinegar. Add salad mix and stir to blend with dressing. Mound greens onto plates and top with equal portions of mushroom mixture.
- 4. With a vegetable peeler, shave thin curls of parmesan onto salads. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads