Warm Lentil Salad with Portabellas
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 553
- Calories from fat: 57%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 8.5mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup minced shallots or onion
- 1 teaspoon olive or salad oil
- 1 cup beluga or Red Chief lentils
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- 4 portabella mushroom caps (5 in. wide)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups (about 1/4 lb. total) lightly packed rinsed and crisped frisée or salad mix
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir shallots in oil until limp, about 3 minutes. Add lentils, broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer just until lentils are tender to bite, about 25 minutes (6 to 8 minutes for red lentils). Drain lentils; save liquid for other uses.
- 2. Meanwhile, trim off discolored mushroom stem ends; rinse caps well. Oven-roast mushroom caps.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon peel.
- 4. Thinly slice mushroom caps. Mound frisée equally on plates; top equally with lentils, then mushroom slices. Spoon about 1 tablespoon garlic-mayonnaise mixture onto each salad. Season salads to taste with remaining garlic mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note