- 1/2 cup minced shallots or onion
- 1 teaspoon olive or salad oil
- 1 cup beluga or Red Chief lentils
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- 4 portabella mushroom caps (5 in. wide)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups (about 1/4 lb. total) lightly packed rinsed and crisped frisée or salad mix
- Salt and pepper
- calories 553
- caloriesfromfat 57 %
- protein 24 g
- fat 35 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- carbohydrate 40 g
- fiber 2.1 g
- sodium 8.5 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In a 2- to 3-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir shallots in oil until limp, about 3 minutes. Add lentils, broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer just until lentils are tender to bite, about 25 minutes (6 to 8 minutes for red lentils). Drain lentils; save liquid for other uses.
Meanwhile, trim off discolored mushroom stem ends; rinse caps well. Oven-roast mushroom caps.
In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon peel.
Thinly slice mushroom caps. Mound frisée equally on plates; top equally with lentils, then mushroom slices. Spoon about 1 tablespoon garlic-mayonnaise mixture onto each salad. Season salads to taste with remaining garlic mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.