- 1 cup coarsely cracked buckwheat groats (kasha)*
- 5 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 2 tart-sweet apples such as Gala, cored and cut into 1/2-in. wedges
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup frisée lettuce pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- calories 257
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- protein 4.2 g
- fat 12 g
- satfat 1.6 g
- carbohydrate 37 g
- fiber 4 g
- sodium 324 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium pot. Add buckwheat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 425°. Toss shallots and apples with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper and 1 tbsp. oil, spread on a baking sheet, and roast, stirring occasionally, until apples are golden and barely tender and shallots are lightly caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes.
Whisk together remaining 4 tbsp. oil, remaining 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper, the vinegar, mustard, and honey in a large bowl. Add reserved buckwheat, warm apples and shallots, frisée, and parsley and toss gently.
*Find in the international aisle with the Eastern European ingredients.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.