Warm Bacon-and-Egg Salad
This version of Salade lyonnaise (a tourist attraction in Lyon with chunks of bacon and a poached egg) has an egg fried in the bacon fat and rich duck eggs when available. From April Bloomfield, chef and co-owner of the Spotted Pig*, The Breslin* and the John Dory Oyster Bar: New York City, NY; recipient of two Michelin stars*. Recipe published in Food & Wine, October 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/4 cup(s) plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 1 generous cup(s) 1/2-inch crustless bread cubes
- 8 slice(s) of lean bacon
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) Banyuls vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 4 large eggs
- 5 ounce(s) baby arugula
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a mini processor.
- 2. Add the bread to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until browned and crisp, 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate; keep warm. Reserve the bacon fat in the skillet.
- 4. Add the anchovies, vinegar, mustard and the remaining ¼ cup of oil to the garlic and process until smooth. Season with salt.
- 5. Heat the bacon fat in the skillet. Crack the eggs into the skillet and fry over moderately high heat until over easy, 1½ minutes on one side and 30 seconds on the other side.
- 6. In a large bowl, toss the arugula and croutons with the dressing. Mound the salad on plates and sprinkle with the chives. Top with the bacon and the fried eggs, season with pepper and serve right away.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note