- 2 ounces day-old French bread or other firm white bread, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
- calories 94
- caloriesfromfat 36 %
- fat 3.8 g
- satfat 1.3 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 4.1 g
- carbohydrate 13.2 g
- fiber 0.4 g
- cholesterol 5 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 172 mg
- calcium 37 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until toasted. Rub cut sides of garlic over one side of each bread slice. Place bread slices in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until bread is coarsely ground. Arrange breadcrumbs in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake at 375° for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer breadcrumbs to a bowl.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until butter is lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally; remove from heat. Drizzle butter over toasted breadcrumbs; toss well to coat.
Combine vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon rind, lemon juice, and shallot; stir well with a whisk. Stir in salt and pepper.
Bring water to a boil in a large skillet. Snap off tough ends of asparagus; add asparagus to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly. Place asparagus on a serving platter. Drizzle with vinaigrette; top with breadcrumb mixture. Garnish with 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, if desired. Serve immediately.