Walter's Ultimate Vanilla Ice Cream
More From Southern Living
Other: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 2 cups milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 qt. whipping cream
- 1. Microwave milk in a microwave-safe container at HIGH 1 minute.
- 2. Whisk together yolks and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until thick and pale. Gradually whisk in warm milk. Pour into a heavy saucepan.
- 3. Cook milk mixture over very low heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- 4. Fill a large bowl with ice. Place bowl containing milk mixture in ice, and let stand, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- 5. Remove bowl from ice bath, and stir in cream. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 6. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1-gal. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts