1. Microwave milk in a microwave-safe container at HIGH 1 minute.
2. Whisk together yolks and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until thick and pale. Gradually whisk in warm milk. Pour into a heavy saucepan.
3. Cook milk mixture over very low heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl.
4. Fill a large bowl with ice. Place bowl containing milk mixture in ice, and let stand, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
5. Remove bowl from ice bath, and stir in cream. Cover and chill 1 hour.
6. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1-gal. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.)