Just tried this tonight for dessert and it was great! I halved the recipe since it was just for my husband and me. I didn't have dried currants so I used Craisins. The apples were very tender. We wanted to top it with ice cream but didn't have any which probably was a good thing since it's a pretty healthy dessert.
Nothing says "autumn" like the fragrance and flavor of cooked apples, especially when they're filled with a mixture of sweetened currants and walnuts and spiced with cinnamon. Serve these apples warm from the crockpot with low-fat frozen yogurt.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 70g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 23mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, cored
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, stirring to combine. Peel top third of each apple; place apples in an electric slow cooker. Spoon walnut mixture into cavity of each apple.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 cup brown sugar, and apple cider in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Pour over apples. Cover with lid; cook on LOW 2 3/4 hours. Remove the apples with a slotted spoon. Spoon 1/4 cup cooking liquid over each serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note