Walnut-Raisin Pumpernickel Boule
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 1 1/4 ounce packet highly active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup raisins (or golden raisins)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons water
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 200°. Stir together first 3 ingredients in the mixing bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Let stand 5 minutes
- Add coffee and next 4 ingredients to yeast mixture. Add 3/4 cup raisins (or golden raisins) and 1 cup toasted walnuts to dough before mixing. Beat at low speed with dough hook attachment for 1 minute or until soft dough comes together. Beat at medium speed 4 minutes. (Dough will be slightly sticky.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surfac.; Shape dough into a ball, and gently flatten to a 7-inch circle. Cut 3 slits in dough (1/4 to 1/2 inch deep) with a sharp paring knife just before baking, if desired. Whisk together 1 egg white and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl; brush loaf with egg mixture.
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet; coat lightly with cooking spray, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Turn oven off, and place loaf in oven. Let rise 30 minutes or until loaf is doubled in bulk. Remove loaf from oven. Remove and discard plastic wrap. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake at 375° for 38 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads