Walnut Pie with Honey Whipped Cream
Photo: Charles Schiller; Styling: Lynn Miller
Yield: 8 Servings
Cost per Serving: $1.01
More From Allyou
Chill: 1 Hour
Bake: 40 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 645
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 66g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 173mg
- Sodium: 248mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1 3/4 cups shelled walnuts
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream :
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Make crust: In a food processor, blend flour and salt. Distribute butter and shortening over top and pulse until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add 3 to 4 Tbsp. ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time; pulse just until a crumbly dough forms when you pinch a small amount between your fingers. Shape dough into a disk, wrap in waxed paper and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to an 11-inch round. Ease dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim and crimp edges. Refrigerate until ready to use. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make filling: Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 8 to 11 minutes, or until lightly golden, shaking pan occasionally during baking. Transfer to a large plate and let cool to room temperature. Whisk together eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add corn syrup, butter, bourbon, if desired, vanilla and salt and whisk until smooth. Stir in walnuts; pour into shell.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place pie on top. Bake pie for 35 to 40 minutes, until filling is puffed and firm in center and crust is lightly browned. Let pie cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Make whipped cream: Beat cream with honey in a large bowl with an electric mixer just until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve pie, and pass whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate any leftover cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note