Walnut Ice Cream
This recipe goes with French Toast with Poached Pears, Walnut Ice Cream, and Caramel Sauce
Yield: 1 gallon
- 1 quart milk
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 vanilla beans, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 dozen egg yolks
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- Bring milk, whipping cream, 1 cup sugar, and vanilla beans to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1 cup sugar in a large bowl. Gradually add one-fourth hot mixture into yolk mixture; whisk back into remaining hot mixture.
- Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding vanilla beans. Immediately set bowl in ice, and let stand, stirring constantly, until cool.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour mixture into the freezer container of a 1-gallon electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Pack freezer with additional ice and rock salt, and let stand 1 hour before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Walnut Ice Cream Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Ice Cream/Sherbet
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Nuts
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Ice-Cream Maker
- OCCASION: Summer, Weddings, Father's Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Coastal Living